News to Live By

Custom Wordpress Theme

In 2014, I interned at a small agency called Lookthink in Washington, DC. While I was there, I was asked to make a wordpress site for the first time. I first made a static site, and then converted it to a custom wordpress theme. This meant I had to pick up PHP. As the only intern on a small team, I picked up most of the development workload for this project, and was able to use the other devs as resources when I had questions.

Client

News To Live By

Our client was a high-traffic news blog with a primarily millenial audience. We had to meet their needs as modern on-the-go readers. We implemented a bolder responsive layout to make reading seamless from any device. A lot of emphasis was on social engagement because that was the driving force behind most traffic.

Development Cycle

Wordpress Development

This was my first time writing a custom theme using Wordpress. While I was familiar with the CMS interface, I had never written any PHP or WP themes.

comp matching

Comp Matching

I created a static site based off the comps handed to me by the designer

comp matching

Mobile Responsive

We utilized an off-canvas menu and reduced unnecessary content and clutter for the mobile and tablet versions.

comp matching

Wordpress Development

I started templating all of the dynamic content

comp matching

Infinite Scrolling

We used Jetpack's infinite scroll plugin with some customization to enable the click to load more content feature.

comp matching

Custom SQL Queries

For some pages, I had to utilize custom SQL queries to get specific content from the Wordpress database.

comp matching

QA Period

We used BrowserStack to do a lot of our QA, along with Edge Inspect, and tracked issues via Trello.

Final Thoughts

This was an awesome project because it really pushed me. I learned some PHP, learned some Wordpress, and had to utilize some of the command line MySQL I learned in my Database class.

If I could do it again, I would probably redesign the CSS architecture with more'abstract modules to get rid of some bloat. I would also try and do more traditional wordpress techniques, like taking advantage of 'the loop.'